Today we meet a indie bookstore owner and kindred bookish spirit, Annie Jones. In this episode, Anne and Annie talk about her wildly unlikely path to bookstore ownership, her love of dysfunctional family literature, and the way meeting an author in person can change the way you experience a book. And unlike a lot of WSIRN guests -- Annie is not afraid to say she hates a book (or... a lot of books.)
Are you in Georgia (or looking to take a road trip)? Check out Annie's gorgeous shop in Thomasville, The Bookshelf. If you're not local, you can still keep up with The Bookshelf on Instagram, and through their podcast From The Front Porch. Connect with Annie on her website and personal Instagram.
Know of a dysfunctional literary family that Annie needs to get to know? Tell her in the comments on our site!
Books discussed in this episode:
• Crossing To Safety, by Wallance Stegner
• Wild, by Cheryl Strayed
• The Hamster Princess, by Ursula Vernon
• The Popularity Papers, by Amy Ignatow
• The Mighty Odds, by Amy Ignatow
• The Martian, by Andy Weir
• The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin
• Everyone Brave is Forgiven, by Chris Cleave
• Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel
• Sons & Daughters of Ease & Plenty, by Ramona Ausubel
• The Mothers, by Britt Bennett
• Commonwealth, by Ann Patchett
• Walt, by Russell Wangersky
• Year of Living Danishly, by Helen Russell
• You’ll Grow Out Of It, by Jessi Klein
• Love Warrior, by Glennon Doyle Melton
• Walking On Water: Reflections on Faith and Art, Madeleine L’Engle
• Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain
• Swing Time, by Zadie Smith
• My Brilliant Friend, by Elena Ferrante
• The After-Party, by Anton DiSclafani
• What We Keep, by Elizabeth Berg
• The Children, Anne
• This Is Where I Leave You, by Jonathan Tropper
• Annie's bookstore podcast From the Front Porch
ThirdLove is an exciting new lingerie brand that wants to spare you the agony of trying on dozens of bras in the department store dressing room and STILL not getting the right fit. ThirdLove uses real women’s measurements to create better fitting bras. With ThirdLove, you order from your home, they ship to your door. And then YOU decide if the fit is right for you. ThirdLove offers a 100% fit guarantee - returns and exchanges are always free
Try ThirdLove’s best-selling 24/7 T-shirt bra for FREE for 30 days, just cover shipping! Start your trial now.
Our second sponsor today is LoveTheWild, a deliciously sustainable fish company with a wild side. Only 1 in 5 people eat enough seafood, and LoveTheWild is on a mission to change that with irresistible flavors and fool-proof preparation.
I’m talking Barramundi with Mango Sriracha Chutney, Catfish with Cajun Creme, Red Trout with Salsa Verde and other mouthwatering fish that are flash-frozen, wrapped in parchment and paired with chef-crafted sauces so tasty you’ll be licking your plate. Plus, they’re ready in less than 30 minutes with no thawing.
It’s not fiction or fantasy. This is the real deal. Your fear of cooking seafood will be a thing of the past. And if you’re also a label reader, LoveTheWild tells true stories by the box. Every fish is 100% traceable with the source information is printed right on the pack.
Swim to LoveTheWild.com, look for the podcast callout and enter the code READNEXT to save $5 on your purchase.
FabFitFun is a subscription box with premium, full-size fashion, beauty, fitness and lifestyle products. The box comes out once each season, and retails for $49.99 but always has a value over $200. In fact the Fall Box'