You can't rejoice in the victories unless you've been through the trenches. In this episode, CJ & The Duke discuss the worst things they've ever seen. Politics gone bad, lack of vision and direction, competing resources. If it's made you pull out your hair, we've probably seen it! This is the much requested war stories episode.
CJ & The Duke talk about ways a SerivceNow implementation can go wrong, how to detect red flags and avoid the consequences.
In this episode we discuss:
- Who's the Alpha?
- Documentation (oh yeah, we're going there AGAIN)
- Team composition, including allocation of the various resource types & time zone shenanigans
- Low value "best practice" focus
- Scope creep and project changes
- The Project Manager's scope
Eksik bölüm mü var?
CJ & The Duke with special guest Travis "T-Dubz" Toulson go deep on the topic of Configuration vs Customization. Its not as simple as you think. Topics covered are:
- What does "config vs custom" actually mean?
- Why does customization have a stigma?
- Is customization really so bad?
- What makes a customization good or bad?
- What experiences formed our opinions?
CJ & The Duke give you the straight talk on ServiceNow consulting. Topics we cover are...
- Contractor vs Consultant mindset
- How to stand out fast
- The Art of Air Cover and Meat Shielding
- Code Problems vs Value Problems
- The Documentation Advantage
- Winning Before Beginning
CJ & The Duke continue the ServiceNow "what's up" series with Service Catalog. This is the "Wish List" episode.
- RITM table extensions
- Richer sub-tasks that aren't sc_task
- Mid-workflow requestor input
- Role based visibility
- Our thoughts on field containers
- "The Dream Report"
- On variables and field types
- Multi row variable set improvements.
CJ & The Duke continue the ServiceNow "what's up" series with Service Catalog. In this episode we go deep on
- The perils of the Mega Request & Generic Request
- The potential of Demand as alternative to Generic Request
- Anatomy of Workflow
- Catalog Items as proto-apps
CJ & The Duke continue the "what's up" series with Service Catalog. In this episode we go deep on
- Initiating Catalog work without being in the Catalog
- How to think of Catalog content
- The 3 Tier RITM Controversy
CJ & The Duke welcome Matt Beran to provide insights on experience and customer focused design on the ServiceNow platform. Questions include:
- What are Matt's passions and unique gifts in the space.
- What non-SN background informs him most today
- What does he wish more people understood about design.
CJ & The Duke welcome Kyle "Mr. Congeniality" Carson to to provide his insights on the ServiceNow ecosystem from a recruiting/staffing perspective. Topics covered include
- What Kyle does differently?
- How Covid19 has affected the game?
- How important are #ServiceNow certifications?
- How does Kyle know he's got a good resource, & what he wishes his resources knew.
- Do good recruiters ever push back to help customers get better idea of project success?
CJ & The Duke cover common sacred cows in implementing, administrating, and maturing ServiceNow. From category trees to team-centric solutions, learn the postures of questioning all sacred cows appropriately. Now cows were harmed in the recording of this episode.
CJ & The Duke cover the omnipresent meme "people, process, and tools", or as we like to call it "People". Learn why People is the scaling factor across your ServiceNow implementation. We talk about practical ways each of these 3 concepts govern your ServiceNow success.
In the first "what's up with" episdoe, CJ & The Duke cover several reporting concepts, ensuring the story you tell with your ServiceNow data makes you the hero. Topics include:
- The Unnatural Nature of Process
- Defining Outcomes
- The 5 Intents of Reporting
- The 3 Personas of Reporting
- How Reporting Tools Align To Personas
With the Covid19 crisis in full swing, and ServiceNow giving the 4 emergency workflow apps for free, CJ & The Duke got to thinking. What prepares an organization to deploy apps of that scale and importance in such a short window?
CJ interviews The Duke on his week at ServiceNow SKO. Learn what SKO is all about, how it can help everyone, impressions of ServiceNow's 2020 direction, and impressions on new CEO Bill McDermott. The Duke also makes his most controversial opinion (ever?).
CJ & The Duke outline 9 ways you can learn ServiceNow on your own for free.
CJ & The Duke recall their origins with ServiceNow, "ah hah moments", what architectural virtues they learned from the start, and what they'd go back and change.
CJ & The Duke discuss "The Slash Dilemma", "Hybrid Roles", "A Day in the Life of an Architect", "The Amish Stakeholder Metaphor", the Virtues of Architecture, essential skills, and operating in the grey areas.