F1Minute // Bitesize Formula One News

F1Minute // Bitesize Formula One News

United States

F1Minute is a short, sharp sixty second show providing access to all the latest happenings in F1. Giving you the facts, the figures and quotes for every story, F1Minute tells you all you need to know, without taking too much out of your day.

Episodes

Renault confirm new appointments for Sirotkin and Prost  

With the launch of the R.S.17 today, Renault also confirmed two new drivers to their books – but it’s not what you think. Hülkenberg and Palmer are still gainfully employed but in addition, Sergey Sirotkin has been given the role of reserve driver which is a step up from his test driver duties of last season. He will participate in some Friday practice sessions and be on hand in case of emergency.

Pascal Wehrlein to miss first pre-season test in Spain  

New Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein has confirmed that he won’t be participating in the first pre-season testing in Barcelona, which gets underway in just over a week. The former Manor driver hurt his back during the Race of Champions in December, after an accident saw his car flip into a barrier.

James Allison joins Mercedes as technical director  

The musical chairs at the top of the fastest teams appears to be complete now, with James Allison signing on to champions Mercedes to become their technical director. Allison left the Ferrari squad mid-way through 2016 after a three year stint, but now he will be in charge at Mercedes.

Renault and Williams select new heads of aerodynamics  

With launches just around the corner, teams are making the final tweaks to their line-ups ahead of the 2017 season. Williams have confirmed the appointment of Dirk de Beer, bringing him on board as head of aerodynamics to start next month. Dirk was previously employed at Ferrari but has also worked at Sauber and Renault.

McLaren lose two top management names ahead of 2017 launch  

The McLaren team have confirmed that two of their senior management have departed with just a couple of weeks to go before the launch of the 2017 car. Chief Executive Officer Jost Capito has parted company with the team, ending speculation that he would be following Ron Dennis out the door. Dennis signed him to the squad midway through the 2016 season, but he’s on his way already.

McLaren opt for new naming convention for 2017 car  

McLaren have been hinting at the fact the team will be going through some changes this year, firstly with a glimpse of some potentially orange paintwork, and today revealing a new naming style for the car itself. Where previously the cars have been consecutively named the MP4-28, 29, 30 and 31, this year they’re stripping all that out.

No consensus from drivers over 2018 halo device  

The FIA have been sourcing feedback from the drivers who tested the halo cockpit device during the 2016 season, and have revealed that the results are mixed. Only 16 drivers have reportedly given their thoughts on the device, and the FIA say that “opinion is divided 50/50.”

Manor team officially cease business after buyer can’t be found  

The Manor team have folded as of Friday 27th January, after the administrators were unable to find a buyer or investor to save the squad. Staff were told to go home early on Friday with over 200 employees now faced with finding new jobs. The administrators said they couldn’t find a structure that would keep the group as a going concern in a sustainable fashion, and sadly Manor have officially called it a day.

BP and Castrol join forces with Renault F1 for five year deal  

Renault Sport have announced today they are partnering with BP and Castrol for their fuel and oil needs, embarking on a five year deal with the global oil company. Managing director, Cyril Abiteboul, said: “With the new aerodynamic regulations for 2017, power sensitivity will increase, therefore fuels and lubricants will make an even greater difference to the overall performance of the car than they have since the new power unit regulations were introduced in 2014.”

Williams continue to adjust to Bottas’ departure  

It’s been a rough start to the year for Team Williams but they are beginning to deal with the loss of their main driver for 2017 now. Here’s Deputy Team Principal Claire Williams paying tribute to Valtteri Bottas: “He’s been an integral part of the development of this team over the past three years. He’s taken us to many podiums, he’s secured many points for the constructor’s championship for us. He’s also a great person.”

Ross Brawn and Sean Bratches take on F1 management roles  

With Liberty Media’s restructuring of how Formula One is run we’ve seen the departure of Bernie Ecclestone and the incoming Chase Carey take over. Liberty have also confirmed that former team owner Ross Brawn will return to the sport as a managing director focusing on the sporting elements, with former ESPN executive Sean Bratches taking on the same role but for commercial aspects instead.

Liberty Media replace Bernie Ecclestone as Formula One chief  

Bernie Ecclestone revealed it himself first, that he was no longer in charge of Formula One, but new bosses Liberty Media soon followed up with the confirmation – they have officially taken control of the sport and their first task was to replace Bernie. The 86 year old’s tenure at the top is over, and although he still has an honorary title within the new organisation, it looks as though his day to day dealings with the sport are over.

Liberty Media receive FIA approval for Formula One takeover  

The World Motorsport Council gathered in Geneva today for an extraordinary meeting to discuss the potential takeover of Formula One by the Liberty Media Corporation. Two statements released after the meeting reveal that the acquisition has the approval of everyone involved, with CVC transferring their entire shareholding to the new owners Liberty Media Corporation.

Mercedes snap up Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa returns to Williams  

It’s the news everyone has been expecting but it was finally confirmed today that Mercedes have indeed managed to poach Valtteri Bottas from the Williams team to join them for 2017. Bottas will move to Mercedes to replace the outgoing world champion Nico Rosberg, and partner Lewis Hamilton for the coming season.

Pascal Wehrlein joins Sauber team for 2017 season  

Sauber have completed their driver line up for the coming Formula One season, by hiring Pascal Wehrlein, fresh from the ailing Manor team. Wehrlein has been in the frame for a couple of larger profile drives, but was potentially considered not experienced enough for Mercedes, and not quite the right fit for Force India.

Renault part ways with team principal Frederic Vasseur  

Renault and team principal Frederic Vasseur have confirmed they have parted ways by mutual consent, leaving the running of the team to Jérôme Stoll and Cyril Abiteboul. Although Vasseur’s departure has been agreed mutually, it sounds as though things weren’t quite as amicable as you might hope.

Paddy Lowe leaves Mercedes and heads out on gardening leave  

Mercedes have confirmed the long-held suspicion that Paddy Lowe, executive director (technical), will be leaving the squad. There’s talk that he’s headed to Williams as part of a deal that may fill the spare Mercedes seat, but we know nothing of that, only that Paddy is leaving Mercedes and now goes on a period of gardening leave.

Manor team put into administration ahead of 2017 season  

The Manor team’s participation in the upcoming Formula One season has been cast firmly into doubt with the news that the squad has gone into administration. Whilst the overall business of Manor Grand Prix Racing, which is the rights owner to the F1 entry, still remains viable, the team itself has had the administrators bought in.

Force India and Renault join the mid-Feb launch party  

Two more teams have confirmed when they will reveal their 2017 challengers, and it almost feels like each squad is waiting to see who else is launching, and then sneaking in the day before. We’ve had Ferrari on the 24th February, Mercedes then on the 23rd. Now Force India have announced we need to save the date of the 22nd, whilst Renault are keen to kick things off on the 21st.

Mercedes and Ferrari confirm 2017 car launch dates  

The festive season is done, a new year is upon us and that can only mean it’s time to start looking ahead to the 2017 Formula One season. Two teams have confirmed the launch dates of their new cars, and whilst launches aren’t the big deal they were a decade ago, the all-new style of this year’s machinery means there will be plenty to look out for. Wider cars, bigger tyres and various aerodynamic tweaks will attempt to make the cars faster, and they should look recognisably different from the 2016 batch.

0:00/0:00
Video player is in betaClose