With the Academy Awards around the corner, Charlie and Nate try something new: a break down of the movie musical La La Land through two of its key songs, "City of Stars" and "Start a Fire." These numbers, one by composer Justin Hurwitz, the other by Hurwitz and John Legend, might represent the two poles of the film's dramatic structure. But a deep dive into their musical construction reveals leitmotifs and left turns that leave us staggered at the different levels to La La Land's score. Special guest Genevieve Koski, deputy culture editor for Vox and co-host of the film podcast The Next Picture Show, joins to help our hosts journey through the uncharted terrain of cinema.
• Start a Fire - John Legend
• City of Stars - Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone
• John Legend - Ordinary People
• Backstreet Boys - Everybody
• Ariana Grande - Side To Side
• Die Walkure, The Ring Cycle - Richard Wagner
• Engagement, Planetarium, Epilogue, Mia + Sebastian's Theme - Justin Hurwitz
• Générique, Dans le magasin de parapluies, Final - The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
• Tie Fighter Theme - John Williams
Check out Genevieve Koski's writing on Vox and her great podcast on La La Land here.